Ketra Thomas' Bahn Mi Picnic recipe brings some oriental flare to a traditional picnic sandwich. Vote for her recipe to help Goodwill of Omaha win the Perfect Picnic Challenge!
2 1/4 hours
2 1/4 hours
- Vote for Ketra's Recipe at http://familyfareperfectpicnic.hscampaigns.com/
- For the pickled carrots, combine apple cider vinegar, water, brown sugar and Chinese five spice in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, then transfer to a bowl and combine with carrots. Refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- For the spread, mix hummus and mayo. Set aside.
- For the turkey marinade, combine soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, Asian pear and green onion in a medium bowl. Marinate turkey for at least ½ hour. Reduce amount of soy sauce for if desired for reduced sodium.
- Assemble the banh mi by spreading bread with hummus and mayo mixture. Top the spread with drained pickled carrots, drained marinated turkey and fresh cucumber slices.
- For the Korean Deviled Eggs, cut boiled eggs in half and remove yolks into a small bowl. To yolks, add mayo, pear, onion and ginger and combine with a fork until smooth. Season to taste with soy sauce.
- Combine soy sauce, water and green onion in a small bowl. Use this mixture to marinate egg whites until slightly tinted.
- Pipe yolk mixture into egg whites. Top with green onion as garnish and 1 popcorn kernel for crunch. Dust tops with Chinese five spice.
- For Ginger-Raspberry Sunset Spritzer, bring water, sugar and fresh ginger to a boil in a small saucepan. Add raspberries and lightly smash them into mixture. Allow to sit for at least 1 hour, then strain through fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth and reserve the syrup. In a clear cup or glass with ice, add ginger ale first. Then add a small amount of raspberry syrup over top. Garnish with a fresh raspberry. The syrup will make its way to the bottom if left unstirred, creating a sunset colors.