Grilled Smart Chicken Breast On Saffron Basmati Rice With Sweet Corn & Shiitake Mushroom Ragout
- Saffron Basmati Rice
- In a pan, bring the stock, bay leaf, and saffron to a boil, then strain, reserving the boiling liquid. In a separate pan, sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir. Add the rice and toast for 1 minute.
- Pour the boiling liquid over the rice. Cover with a parchment circle lid (refer to the Food For Thought entry for more on how to make this) and bake at 375ºF for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Top with the lime zest, lime juice, and cardamom. Fluff with a fork and spread out on a sheet pan to cool.
- Chive Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a chinoise or a fine mesh strainer, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sweet Corn & Shiitake Mushroom Ragout
- In a pan, sauté onions until translucent. Add the corn and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine and reduce to au sec (almost dry).
- Add the heavy cream and reduce by half.
- Add the butter and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the chicken) in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Pour the marinade in a shallow baking dish. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Allow the chicken to marinate at least a half hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Build your fire, or preheat half of your grill to high heat and the other half to medium-low heat.
- Once the different temperatures are achieved on your grill, place the chicken breasts on the high-heat side. Grill the breasts for about 3 to 4 minutes with the lid open, then move the chicken to the cooler side of the grill (do not flip over yet), and grill for 5 to 6 minutes with the lid closed. Open the lid and turn the chicken breasts over, moving them back to the hot side of the grill, and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes with the lid open. Move the chicken back to the cooler side of the grill and continue to grill for about 5 minutes with the lid closed. Remove the chicken from the grill when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Place the chicken on a rack or a plate and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes before serving. Place some of the saffron basmati rice and the ragout on each plate. Top each plate with a grilled chicken breast and drizzle with chive oil.
- Food For Thought: How To Make A Parchment Lid:
Covering a slow cooking dish with a fitted parchment paper lid is a technique long used in French cooking. The paper material allows cooks to control heat and moisture inside the cooking dish so that the texture and flavor is just right, as lids can sometimes cause the dish to overheat and cook too fast, while going without a lid can cause the dish to dry out. A parchment lid is a perfect solution. To make one, start with a square piece of parchment paper folded in half and then in half again. Fold the small square several more times to form a long triangle. Using scissors, cut a small hole in the tip to make a vent in the center of the paper lid. Measure the lid against the pot and round out the larger end of the triangle to make it circular. Unfold and cover your dish.