Shop for that special bottle for your own cellar, a bottle to impress your boss, holiday gifts for those wine geeks in your life, or a fine champagne to ring in the New Year. These picks are special enough to grace the table for a holiday meal, for sipping when friends just drop by, or just a favorite, familiar bottle to savor by the fire at the end of a busy day. Here’s our holiday top ten list:
- H. Mynor’s Red Zinfandel 2013 A zesty, crisp Zinfandel, with smoky cherry and cracked pepper flavors. Serve with: lasagna
- CS Wine of Substance Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 Earthy, layered and deep, with cassis, dark cherry, tobacco leaf and morels. Serve with: braised beef.
- Spring Valley Uriah 2012 Walla Walla Red Wine Complex layers of herbs and almond paste and creamy with bright flavors of summer fruit and the fine tannins lead to a spectacularly long finish. Serve with: Lamb skewers, seared duck breast, pasta with lentils.
- Rodney Strong Alexanders Crown Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 Elegant, with a rich mouthfeel, soft tannins and a long lingering finish with a touch of mocha. Serve with: prime red meats, firm cheeses and other rich fare.
- Mer Soleil Santa Lucia Highlands Reserve Chardonnay 2013 Medium bodied with scents of lemon and peach, and toasty notes and lingering finish of balanced oak, butter and fruit. Chill and serve with: hard cheeses and heartier poultry or seafood dishes.
- Antinori Guado al Tasso 2011 Bolgheri DOC Superiore A concentrated wine, one of great class and elegance and capable of a very lengthy aging and evolution in the bottle. Serve with: Filet mignon, roasted rabbit or quail, spaghetti Carbonara, spicy hot sausages.
- Ghost Rider Ungrafted Red 2015 Aroma rich with mixed berries and black cherry preserve. Hints of spice including black pepper and bacon carry through on the palate. Serve with: roasted leg of lamb.
- Col Solare 2012 Red Mountain Proprietary Red Big, concentrated, lush and structured with a long finish and flavors of cassis, black raspberries, chocolate, melted licorice and spice. Serve with: Rich meat dishes, lamb, game and grilled steak
- Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 Dense flavors of dried berry, dark plum, rose petal and bramble. Serve with: any hearty dish, especially lamb and steak
- Belle Glos “Las Alturas” Pinot Noir 2014 Aromas of blackberries, ripe plums, with hints of black licorice. Vanilla and cedar oak undertones on the mid-palate further enhance the wine. Serve with: a wide variety of cheeses, poultry or lamb.
Roz Mayberry, has been buying the wine for the D&W Fresh Markets for nearly 20 years, and tastes it all, of course. She leads a team of thirteen enthusiastic wine and food knowledgeable Stewards who keep the customers interested and happy in the stores every day. Roz grew up on the east coast, where she spent most of her childhood outside, just rummaging around in the woods, or reading and daydreaming. She loves nothing better than summer camping, especially on the northern coast of Maine, looking up into the night sky, listening to the Atlantic rush over the rocks, and drinking Sauvignon Blanc with lobster. She moved to her new home on the beautiful shore of Lake Michigan in the early 1970s. Travel-to-eat and years of life in France have made her a hopeless foodie.